The Pythian Home of Missouri, also known as Pythian Castle, in Springfield, Missouri, was built in 1913 by the Knights of Pythias and later owned by the U.S. military. It is now privately owned and open to the public by appointment.
German and Italian prisoners-of-war were assigned here during World War II for medical treatment and as laborers. Some prisoners were kept in the detached powerhouse and laundry room behind the castle. The laundry room is still owned by the U.S. Army.
The building was listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places on October 7, 2009
Ghostpythian castlespringfield moghost tourwall arthistorical placesspringfield history